January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011

Bath and Body Works? For Whom?

Though my cheapness is widely heralded throughout the lands (that are in my mind), let it be noted that when I do find something I really really like, I will pay for it. Repeatedly. Even if cheaper alternatives are available. All of which is to say, Bath and Body Works, thank you for getting your heads screwed on straight again.

Ah, but I’m getting ahead of myself. How about a little backstory?

Every year since, like, at least three years ago, I have gotten Bath and Body Works’ Twisted Peppermint body spray. Judge away, but some of us enjoy smelling like a candy cane year round. As you might suspect, however, Twisted Peppermint is a seasonal scent.

[Side note on behalf of all mint fans: Why is it that we get our due only at Christmas? You know who might enjoy mint candy or cookies or candles during the other eleven months of the year? We would! We! Would! WEWOULDWEWOULDWEWOULD!]

So my modus operandi since, like, at least three years ago, has been to buy a year’s supply at Yule. Specifically, just after Yule, when it’s 75% off. (Behold, ye cheapness.) This ends up being about 4 bottles’ worth.

Then, last year, I must assume that the BBW focus groups were high on hand sanitizer because THEY PUT GLITTER IN THE BOTTLES. Check it:

(Last year’s scent is on the left. This year’s is on the right. Note that the glitter has been removed.)

Look, maybe this is a subtle hint that body sprays are targeted to people who willingly accessorize with glitter, such as teenagers and the cast of Jersey Shore. But the rest of us, who are addicted to the smell of mint, now find our entire wardrobes penetrated with unremovable glitter.

Yes, every top I own (and most of the bottoms) now sparkle. I’ve washed. I’ve dry cleaned. I’ve shaken. And stirred. But it’s still there.

You know, this sort of thing would never happen on Mad Men.

1 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke:

LOL! Too funny, but yay for regular body mist being back without the glitter!