March 7, 2011

March 7, 2011

In My Opinion: The Hammer

Among the few things TheBoy and I disagree on is the virtue of one Adam Carolla. Though my exposure to Mr. Carolla is admittedly limited (I always preferred Dr. Drew during their appearances on Hollywood Squares), suffice to say I’m not a fan. From what I understand, The Man Show involved women on trampolines, right? I’m not seeing any redeeming value there; sorry, fellas. Though TheBoy was an avid Loveline listener, I’ve found that any story beginning with “This one caller on Loveline…” ends badly for everybody.

However, my terrible memory and TB's sinister patience resulted in a recent movie night featuring The Hammer. Starring Adam Carolla. I did my best to go into it with an open mind, because even the worst of us can have a good movie. (I’m looking at you, Charlie Sheen.)

In The Hammer, Adam Carolla stars as Jerry Ferro. He’s middle-aged, newly loveless, and working construction. As is often the case in situations like these, Jerry was once A Big Deal—a boxing star on the rise. Now, he resorts to teaching a few boxing classes at the local gym. Circumstances conspire to give Jerry another shot at becoming a successful boxer, with a chance at going to the Olympics. I really do hope you’ll see this film yourself (GASP, I KNOW), so I’m not going to spoil it here.

Adam Carolla is no Christian Bale. He doesn’t lose himself in the character. You’re very aware that Adam Carolla (and, from what I understand, several of his friends) is the star of this movie. Luckily, Adam Carolla turns out to be a pretty funny guy. I didn’t laugh at every line, but there is something amusing about a guy who is unabashedly crude. He even manages to believably win a ladyfriend, which goes to show that he’s not 100% distasteful to those of us with two X chromosomes. (80%, maybe. But not totally.)

Don’t be alarmed if you haven’t heard of this thing; it apparently stayed mostly on the festival circuit. It’s available for download, and you don’t even have to dodge women on trampolines to get it.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: