April 13, 2011

April 13, 2011

Remember This? Volume 21: Jelly Shoes

Unless I have vastly miscalculated my readership, the males among you can probably skip this entry altogether (possible exception for those of you with daughters or a RuPaul fetish).

Kids are weird. I mean, even the best parents among us have to admit that. Though may like kids less than the next person (see: sticky, loud, etc.), I was one once and remember somewhat the heady nonsense that filled those days. 8 hours under the backyard picnic table digging for worms? Why not!

I think this goes a long way towards explaining a fad that consumed me as a girl but that I can no longer defend: jelly shoes.

Honestly, these may still be a thing. Even for adult women. (I am certainly not a harbinger of shoes; I wore Mary Janes to the DMZ and I’m considering Hello Kitty rainboots.) Regardless, I’m not seeing how thin strips of cheap plastic did me any favors. Don’t give me the whole “But it was for style” excuse, either. When I was a kid, I was more concerned with navigating a world built for people twice my height than with my footwear. (The difference today: I am concerned with navigating a world built for people 1.25 times my height. An oh-so-subtle difference.)

Did you have a favorite item of clothing or accessory as a kid that you can’t explain now? I have the jelly shoes, of course, but also a pair of pink Oshgosh B’Gosh overalls that certainly didn’t do me any favors.

And, of course, the blazer:

I blame my mother for that one.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: