May 11, 2011

May 11, 2011

Boardwalk Empire

I apologize for being so remiss in blogging lately. I could attribute it to work, personal obligations, or je ne sais pas. I will instead tell you about my excellent trip to Ocean City, Maryland.

In case you’re not familiar with the DC area, we are not actually that far from the ocean. Crazy, innit? As someone who grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan, I do so enjoy a large body of water. The crazy thing about the ocean, though: it’s salty. (I know. I tasted it.) If it weren’t a three hour drive, I’d go much more often than once every three years.

Ocean City was once envisioned as a sort of junior Atlantic City. Beach, boardwalk, brothels. Well, maybe not brothels. But definitely a place to have fun, especially if you were a lady:

Ocean City is best visited before tourist season. Things are cheaper and less crowded.

On the other hand, don’t plan on swimming in the ocean if you hope to have children someday. That puppy was colder than a mofo. Not to say that you can’t set up camp on the beach anyway.

And watch someone get married.



Make sure to spend some time driving the coastal highway. It’s chock full of theme restaurants, mini golf courses, and hotels that belong on a beach-themed episode of Mad Men.

Don’t forget the ferris wheel, either.

Ocean City strikes me as the sort of tourist town that has seen better days (see also: Wisconsin Dells). Still good, though. Still good.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: