May 25, 2011

May 25, 2011

Let's Go. Expo. San Diego.

A few weeks ago, I got to attend the GSA Expo in San Diego. This was my second Expo—last year’s was in a swamp sometimes known as Orlando but which I recall as “That Place Where I Turned Into a Puddle While Waiting for the Shuttle Bus.”

Anyhoo. The GSA Expo is thrown by the General Services Administration, the agency charged with managing the government’s buildings and cars and whatnot. They are literally the landlords and used car salesmen of government. The rest of us treat them as such. However, the plus side of GSA’s fat coffers is their annual shindig for those of us who buy things with government money. We are legion.

This year’s keynote speaker was Steve Wozniak, aka Woz, aka the guy who founded Apple…no, not Steve Jobs…the other guy. He focused his speech on innovation, but did manage to get a few potshots in at government. NOT COOL, WOZ. NOT COOL.

The sessions I attended are probably of no interest to you, as they focus on things like SmartPay, E-Gov, the FAR, and the FTR. So I’ll just say that I sat in a room like this five or six times during the week:

And there were the lunches. Oh, the lunches. Glorious free lunches!

Plus the vendor fair. Now, working at federal-agency-that-shall-not-be-named as I do, my purchasing is limited to supplies, equipment, and the occasional cool item. But when you go to a governmentwide vendor fair, you realize that we buy A Lot of Stuff. I mean, John Deere has a booth (for USDA?), Coleman has a booth (NPS?), and hundreds more. I managed to get some great swag, including a red Swingline stapler and an easy button.

Alas, the week passed all too quickly and it was time to fly (SIX HOURS) home. Next year’s Expo is in San Diego. You might be able to get a federal job by then if you start now. Do it! Do it for the Swingline!

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: