September 7, 2011

September 7, 2011

Feed Your Children Well

A recent opinion piece in the New York Times suggests bringing home ec back as a way to combat obesity. If children learn how to cook real food (the thinking goes), they will not become fat. As someone who has no idea how to cook and was obese for quite some time, I’ll pretend to be uniquely qualified to discuss this idea.

No. Seriously no.

It’s not that I’m against home ec. I attended schools (and one college) where “homemaker” was the highest (and literally only) profession a woman could aspire to. If anything, you got a teaching degree to bide time until the wedding. But seriously, fields such as business, theology, and medicine were best left to the men.

You think I am kidding. I am not kidding.

Despite the fact that I spent most of this time preparing to pluck the forbidden fruit of a business degree, I tried to play along and learn what I could of domesticity. Thus I own and can fully operate a sewing machine. Should it hit the fan at cabinet-department-that-shall-not-be-named, rest assured I could theoretically save the day with a basting stitch and a hidden hem!

While I had no proclivity for cooking, I appreciate those who do. Goodness knows I watch enough of them on Food Network, PBS, and Cooking Channel. I also understand the temptation to link “ability to cook healthy food” and “compunction to eat healthy food.” Yet I don’t believe they’re all that linked. What you eat doesn’t depend on what you can cook.

It depends on what you can afford.

It depends on what tastes good.

It depends on what those around you are eating/want to eat/cook for you to eat.

Kitchen dunces like me know how to add dressing to a bagged salad mix. Or buy a Lean Cuisine to throw in the microwave.

Remember how I said earlier that I watch a lot of TV chefs? The professionals? I will state as diplomatically as possible that these people are not our best shot at outrunning the aliens. I have seen the future, and it is WALL-E.

Find a way to make junk food expensive and gross. I think that’s your best bet.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: