September 25, 2011

September 25, 2011

Public Diplomacy

Last week, friend-of-blog Patricia and I toured the Diplomatic Reception Rooms at the Department of State. I'd first learned of this tour on a DC-set episode of Antiques Roadshow. The plethora of everyday-joe tourists on my tour leads me to believe that people aren't nearly as stupid as I assume then to be.

The tour is free, and highly-recommended by your humble blogger. (Kids are not allowed. Bonus.) The tour is a series of 6ish rooms filled with fantastic furniture and objets d'histoire.

Then there's the room where Secretary Clinton meets foreign dignitaries:

The desk where Jefferson wrote part of the Constitution:

And the Benjamin Franklin dining room, where diplomacy is served with a side of mashed potatoes.

(Not set up for a banquet that day, obviously.)

I have no idea how other people are discovering this tour, but now you can add it to your list next time you visit.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: