October 26, 2011

October 26, 2011

Spooky Scary Werewolf Bar Mitzvah

Forgive me if I’ve written about this already, but am I the only one who grew up with a trick or treat that involved coat wearing on Sunday afternoons?

Those of you who grew up in the Midwest, Northeast, or Alaska know that by the time the end of October rolls around, you’re more likely than not to have wind chills in the 20s and some snow on the ground. No matter how phenomenal your costume is, it’s going to be covered by outerwear. I’ve given candy to “SWAT team member wearing coat,” “Jeff Gordon wearing coat,” and “princess wearing coat.” Heck, I’ve *been* “princess wearing coat.” I never thought a thing of it. (Plus side: coat pockets mean more candy-carrying capacity.) The only time you got my costume’s full effect was in my own living room. I'm the one on the left.

Here, in solo glory:

(I still have that outfit.)

(It no longer fits.)

Anyway, I always envied the kids who lived in multi-family buildings (not a ton of those in Milwaukee, but a few 8-apartment buildings exist), because they could possibly hit several places without their down jacket, scarf, and gloves. What luxury!

To add insult to injury, Milwaukee doesn’t hold trick or treat on Halloween. Halloween’s usually a weekday, you see, so it would have to be done after school. And that far north, after school means after sundown. Hundreds of children walking around in the dark? Not so much. Hence why you’d find me dutifully taking my “princess wearing coat” schtick to the streets on the Sunday before, usually from 1 to 4ish. Houses with candy would turn their porch lights on. (I admit that makes a lot less sense when it is already light out.) When my dad was a kid, Milwaukee had trick or treat at night (as, apparently, the rest of the freaking country does), but that was Back in the Day. Now we have to check for razorblades in our gluten-free apples and whatnot.

It’s just one of those things you never think twice about as a kid, because that’s the way things are. And then you meet people from other lands and realize that they do things differently. (Or-the horror—not at all.) It is not a small world after all, Disney. It’s a large world where some people got to collect candy in fewer than 5 layers of clothing.

1 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke:

The neighborhood I've lived in for 2 really believes in Halloween, so we create a theme which allows us to party while kids stream by and take candy.

Last year we (20s rum runners) wore (period-ish-esque) overcoats with our costumes, and moved our poker game every hour to follow the patch of sunlight.

This year we planned our entire theme to weather the cold. Zombie Apolcalypse. Complete with (six layers of) blood-spatters, strategically ripped clothes.