Here is the video that inspired me to believe that humanity has hope after all, and that by Jove, anything is possible!
Chills, people. CHILLS.
After watching this things, I made a list of stuff I hope to see when I travel to 2112**:
- A cashless society. Or at least one free of checks. I’m not talking a full-on “mark of the beast” situation here. But can’t we relegate checks to history, like telegrams and the Postal Service***?
- Video calling everywhere voice calling is available. It could be turned off, of course, but I pretty much want teeny webcams on every phone, computer, and device in existence. My dry humor is even more impressive when it come with a complete lack of facial expression.
- Teleporters. Self-explanatory when you spend 3 hours a day in traffic.
- Medical treatment based on genetics. As I understand medicine today, we seem to be playing a lot of defense. Once we’ve sequenced the genome or what-have-you, we should be able to pre-treat everything with fancy drugs, right? (I would also like these drugs to be available as gummies. They’re fun.)
- Free Diet Coke for everybody. Not necessarily a technical advancement, but y’know.
I was pretty optimistic that this was all possible. It was a new feeling for me.
Then I saw a similar video from back in 1993. I can only assume that it too made people All Excited:
Is it just me, or do we have all of these things already? And while we are technically living in what the people of 1993 would have considered the future, it doesn’t seem full of cool crap at all.
Now my only hope lies with Oprah, and I’m not at all comfortable with that. Sigh.
* Though this question is intended as rhetorical, I understand that “Mayans” and “the Tea Party” would both be acceptable answers.
** Oprah told me that The Secret is to think positively, and positive things will happen to you. I am POSITIVE that Oprah could pay to build a time travel machine. It’s one of my favorite things, O!
*** Too soon?