December 7, 2011

December 7, 2011

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

Do you still watch Saturday Night Live? I do, though I tend to skip over the musical guests; more often than not, I have no idea who they are. My favorite segments remain Weekend Update and anything featuring Kristen Wiig. Like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler before her, Kristen shows that women can indeed amuse, and don’t even require singing/dancing/funny hats to do so.

One SNL alum who’s also proving this point is Jenny Slate, whose blink-and-you-missed-her stint on the show gave her the means and opportunity to give the world Marcel the Shell with Shoes On.

I know, I know. You’ve been aware of this for AGES. My beloved Entertainment Weekly mentioned it, like, EONS ago. Once again, I am mercilessly behind the times, what with my non-smartphone and love of fossil fuels. I know you’d disown me if not for my freezer full of Trader Joe’s food.

So, anyway. Marcel the Shell with Shoes on. Marcel combines several of my favorite things. He is tiny. I love things that are tiny. One of my former co-workers used to send me pictures of tiny men from news articles because they made me giggle. Look at the tiny man, lifting a single hand weight! Look at the tiny man, driving a toy car! And so on. So many things that are merely tolerable when normal-sized become astoundingly more pleasant when made freakishly small.

Marcel knows his limitations. As you’ll see in the clips below (and you WILL see, because you MUST watch), Marcel at one point talks about transportation. Marcel sometimes rides a bug. But since bugs are pretty simple, the ride usually ends up at the sticky mess in the kitchen. So, really, if you ride a bug, your objective needs to be “going for a ride,” and not getting to any one place in particular. Marcel doesn’t complain about this. He just goes with it. Inspirational.

As far as I can tell, there are only two parts so far. Each one is just a couple of minutes long. Check it:





Please tell me they’re making more of these. I would watch a feature about Marcel. In solidarity, I have started searching for a tiny pair of shoes for the seashell figurine given to me by friend-of-blog Patricia after her recent beach vacation.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: