March 5, 2012

March 5, 2012

Not a Good Deal at Even 100% Off

Groupon has exposed us to a world of experiences we didn’t know existed. Spa treatments and hot air balloon rides and dinners at restaurants serving food from countries we didn’t know existed. I subscribe to the deals for three cities (Milwaukee, DC, and New York), so I can personally attest that there is A Lot To Do out there. And on the cheap! Because surely none of these amazing experiences would be overpriced originally, right? RIGHT?

Yet every so often, you come across something so unusual that you’re certain Groupon is just messing with you. Like Milwaukee’s recent deal for a Jeffrey Dahmer-themed tour. In case you don’t know, Jeffrey Dahmer was a serial killer infamous during my formative years. On the one hand, I was too young to understand the news reports. On the other hand, I was co-existing in the same county as an effing serial killer. Six of one, half a dozen of the victims’ body parts in a refrigerator, so to speak.

But anyway. There is apparently some demand for this sort of thing, a la London’s Jack the Ripper walks. But really? Really, Milwaukee? It has come to this, without even waiting for the sheen and perspective of history? I think I speak for us all when I say: ew. Ew ew ew. I can’t imagine the appropriate time for this tour. Valentine’s Day? Birthday? Mother’s Day? At what point does someone wake up and think, I wish there were some way to tour various murder-related sights in southeastern Wisconsin. Never. At no point. None.

Sigh. Just when we’re making strides, what with Donald Driver’s casting on Dancing With the Stars and that guy who walked into a Denny’s and cooked himself a meal, this happens. Must be what Paula Deen feels like.

UPDATE: Since I drafted this last week, Groupon has dissociated itself with this deal, and the whole brouhaha has gotten national coverage. Glad I'm not the only one who found it questionable.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: