March 12, 2012

March 12, 2012

That’s-a One Spicy Meatball

Friday was National Meatball Day. Though I’m not usually a fan of almost-meaningless celebrations, I can get in the holiday spirit when food is in play. How did you celebrate? Did your local Italian eatery do anything special? Did you have dinner at the Olive Garden? Anybody? Bueller?

One DC restaurant had an interesting special: $35 for a carafe of wine and all the pasta and meatballs you could eat. I didn’t go, but I’d like to think about what could have happened if I had.

I’m definitely a girl who likes her money’s worth, so I’m consuming at least $35 of stuff, and twice that if possible. I’m not a drinker, so I’d have to pass on the carafe of wine. (Is this different from a bottle? How so?) That means I’m putting away $35 worth of meat and starch.

Challenge. Accepted.

As someone who doesn’t buy much (read: any) ground beef (or whatever it is that goes in meatballs), I have no idea how many pounds $35 gets you. I actually don’t know how much spaghetti costs, either.

Perhaps I should have thought this through more.

Okay, here’s something. You can get a regular spaghetti and meatballs at Noodles & Company for like $6, right? So let’s say I would have to eat at least 6 of those to get my money’s worth. A lot of food, but possible. It would be like that “Man vs. Food” show, except that I’d ask to drink out of my Hello Kitty party cup. (The party for which I first used it? My birthday. My 28th birthday. Shutup.)

Then again, if you’re counting value on an Olive Garden scale, it’s probably only two orders of spaghetti and meatballs. Barely worth getting worked up about. I guess it’s all in your perspective.

I’ve now missed the holidays for pancakes, waffles, and meatballs. It’s as if the internet is of no use at all.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: