March 26, 2012

March 26, 2012

Things I've Read: Jen Lancaster

So I’ve been having a heck of a time lately, what with buses not showing up and literal fires at work and a transit system that puts both an F and a U into the phrase “customer service.” Thank goodness for my Kindle, and my recent discovery of Jen Lancaster.

I don’t recally exactly how I found her, though I’m sure Amazon’s “You Might Also Like” feature had something to do with it. Honestly, this algorithm/computer assistant/soon-to-be-AI-overlord is one of Heather’s Favorite Things. Without it, I’d probably just read the Harry Potter books on a loop. But when I tell it what I’ve already read and enjoyed, it shows me a plethora of books that are similar. And unlike when people I know say, “I think you’d like this,” the algorithm is almost always correct.

[See, here’s the thing. You think you know me, you think you know what I like. But please don’t try to get me to watch/listen to/read/eat stuff unless you yourself think it is the bee’s knees. Because, frankly, I’m not sure whether I can trust you.]

The three books of Lancaster’s I’ve read so far: Pretty in Plaid, Such a Pretty Fat, and My Fair Lazy. They deal with wardrobe, diet, and media consumption in turn. But they’re not advice books. Heck no. They’re accounts of how Lancaster has struggled with clothing, food, and reality television. She’s hilariously self-deprecating as she talks about her love of sweatpants, Survivor, and a sandwich made with a Twinkie and a Hostess Cupcake. It sounds boorish, but reading about this sort of glorious depravity made me feel better about myself.

Plus, Lancaster is smart. And savvy. She was an executive at a dotcom before it went bust. This is a woman who not only has hilarious experiences, but who also can describe them in ridiculously-funny detail. Fantastic.

Though I have more of her oeuvre to consume, I’m already convinced that Jen Lancaster will be one of my Great Discoveries of 2012.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: