April 9, 2012

April 9, 2012

Duly Noted Recommends, Volume 28: Don’t Trust the B---- in Apt. 23

It is not lightly that I highly recommend something to you. You know this. 95% of things in existence disturb and/or disgust me. I’m even pickier with TV shows, because my plate is already pretty full. A new comedy is lucky if it makes me smile a few times; it has to be pretty killer to move from “watch on Hulu the next day” to “watch live, even if copious amounts of caffeine are required.”

Don’t Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 made me laugh. Out loud. FOUR TIMES.

The gist: Innocent June moves from Indiana to NYC for an amazing job. She leaves behind her fiancé and her parents, both of whom feature in the pilot episode. But she’s super psyched for an amazing corporate job and apartment in the Big Apple.

Unfortunately, June’s new company goes up in flames before she starts, so she finds herself without a job and an apartment. An online search leads her to Chloe, whose style and digs outshine the other options (hello, crazy cat dude). I mean, she is besties with James Van Der Beek. DAWSON FRICKIN’ LEERY. June signs on the spot, and finds herself the newest resident of apartment 23.

"So how was moving? I was gonna help you, but then I didn’t want to."

Chloe turns out to be a bit of a challenge, though, and by “bit of a challenge,” I mean “batshit crazy.” She overcharges June for the rent, eats her food, and generally proves Dawson’s claim that she has “the morals of a pirate.”

"I wrote a rap at Christian camp. It was called 'Jesus is My N-Word.'"

Poor June. Between a rock and a hard place. Luckily, we Midwestern girls got game. She sells all of Chloe’s furniture and earns some grudging respect.

"Well, look who picked up a racket and decided to join the game."

The pilot had many funny throwaway lines and a couple of great visual gags. I’m very interested to see where it goes from here. I hope to get a little more of June’s parents and a TON of douche-y Dawson. As a former Creek Geek*, I can appreciate the fact that the things of my childhood are now old enough to be parodied.

The pilot is available on Hulu legally for free here. The show premieres on ABC this Wednesday at 9:30. DO IT.

* Fun fact: I used to smuggle tapes of the show to a classmate whose parents wouldn’t let him watch it. Shutup. It was the '90s.

1 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke:

I USED TO SMUGGLE TAPES! Video and audio. Often (usually) at church. Twas just so convenient.

Sometimes I feel like people reading about this sort of thing would be entirely at a loss. But also, I feel we should write a movie based on said experiences.