July 11, 2012

July 11, 2012

City Mouse

A recent article notes that cities are growing faster than suburbs these days, mostly because young people choose to live urban rather than suburban. While I am nothing if not an old soul in a young body, on this point I heartily agree. I’m a child of the city and plan to remain so until retiring to the moon colony in 2048.

You may not be a city person, and that’s totally okay. (Or, I will pretend it’s totally okay while I surreptitiously try to bring you to my side.) You have nature and sunsets and things. You don’t have to worry about crime, or traffic, or that homeless guy on 23rd Street. Win-win!

But the city. Oh, the city. To me, it’s like a symphony, both of sight and of sound. Have you ever watched the traffic on Broadway? Any time of day or night, it’s a ballet of taxis and pedicabs and pedestrians. On their way to a show, or dinner, or that new thing at the Met. It’s not that you can’t get a show, or dinner, or that new thing at the Met when you live in the suburbs. It just takes a heck of a lot longer. (Unless you get an apartment in the city, but Pete Campbell showed us that’s probably not a great idea.)

Yes, I realize the irony here. I hate people, yet I prefer to live in the midst of humanity. I think it’s because I love the amenities built to cater to a high population. While rural areas are devoid of people, they are also devoid of libraries and Trader Joe’s. Someone once said something to me to the effect of “Back home, we have to drive 45 minutes to get to anywhere” and I almost slapped them.

I can handle about 4 days in the wild, after which point I need the comforts of the city. Diet Coke from a soda fountain, jaywalking, etc. When it comes to NATURE and QUIET, your mileage may vary.

“I have an affection for a great city. I feel safe in the neighborhood of man, and enjoy the sweet security of the streets.” ―Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.” ―Nora Ephron

“A city is a place where there is no need to wait for next week to get the answer to a question, to taste the food of any country, to find new voices to listen to and familiar ones to listen to again.” ―Margaret Mead

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: