August 26, 2012

August 26, 2012

Summer Movies: A Threeve

As I’m wont to do, I packed as many movies as possible into my Wisconsin vacation. My thoughts, in brief, since you’ve probably already seen them all:

Men in Black 3. I believe Josh Brolin as a young Tommy Lee Jones, but not as a 29-year-old. C’mon. Will Smith, on the other hand, is eerily ageless and just as funny as ever. Loved the stocking-capped future-viewing alien, and almost cried when the army general died.

The Avengers. I’d seen the precursor films and like the characters to varying degrees (Iron Man is the only one with my unqualified recommendation). Though I’m not a fan of Loki as a baddie, I did like the idea of a team of superheroes uniting to open an almighty can of whoopass. I look forward to their battle with Hellboy. (Spoiler?)

The Amazing Spider-Man. Sorry, Andrew Garfield is too hot to be a believable Peter Parker. The Stacy apartment was too grand to be believable as belonging to an NYPD captain. The jocks were too jocky to be believeable as attending a science high school. In other words, I have too much experience with nerds and Manhattan real estate to suspend disbelief. And the Lizard? Ew.

The Hunger Games. Not as good as the book, but that’s only to be expected. Wish Gale had gotten more to do, though I guess that’s coming, innit? Thought Haymitch, Cinna, Caesar, Rue, and Seneca were excellent. Withholding judgment on Katniss and Peeta.

The Bourne Legacy. Jeremy Renner scares me, in a good way. Though every review I read of his work mentions his shortness (including this one, apparently), he more than makes up for it in speed and strength. Loved the international locales, possibly because I’d been to all but two of them (Pakistan and the Phillippines). Matt Damon who?

I’ve yet to see Moonrise Kingdom and Total Recall. Considering that I’m just now watching the big holiday films (The Iron Lady, W.E., etc.), it could be awhile. I’ll let you know.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: