September 10, 2012

September 10, 2012

Quiet, Please?

Do you prefer to work in silence, or do you like a little background noise?

I’ve found that I like a little noise, whether music or talk. I used to have my personal music library on all day, with the consequence that my office mates were subjected to my renditions of everyone from ABBA to the Black Eyed Peas. Musician though I am, eight hours of me is probably forbidden by the Geneva Convention.

So now I stick to news radio. Our local station, WTOP, has a wonderfully predictable hourly schedule. Traffic and weather on the 8s. Sports at 15 and 45. Money news at 25 and 55. In between, stories of interest to the DC area, which is its own microcosm of mistrust and dysfunction. I love it! Who needs Twitter when you have people speaking directly into your ear? (I kid, I kid.)

My co-workers are almost all Serious People, who keep their lights dimmed and don’t listen to music. Pish posh, I say! Since I’m the only one with a Hello Kitty coffee mug, a Magic 8 ball, and an Easy Button, I guess I should be the one who throws caution to the wind and KEEPS MY LIGHTS ON, eh? Crazy. Cra- to the -zy.

I guess you might be a construction worker who spends all day surrounded by the sounds of jackhammers as filtered by super-duper ear protection. Or a stay-at-home mom who spends all day listening to children vomit. But for those of you in offices, toll booths, and royal palaces wherein a bit of easy listening is allowed, I do hope you take advantage.

If you want to spice up your day as I do, WTOP.com is your gateway to the latest in sequestration.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: