November 4, 2012

November 4, 2012

Walk Like an Egyptian

Hi!

It’s been too long, my friends. I spent most of October traipsing the Middle East, and then a tiny bit of it getting hurricaned on. It’s all fun and games until you’re trying to pay for a turkey sandwich at the Frankfurt airport with Egyptian money. These logistics never seem to come into play when James Bond travels the world.

But oh, man, if I started listing all the things that pissed me off on this trip, we’d be here for days. DAYS. Not counting the weird cultural issues, like the fact that you’re not supposed to use your left hand for anything in Islamic countries. But Heather, I hear you say, you’re left handed!

WHY, YES. YES I AM.

But let’s begin at the beginning. The two flights over 14 hours that took me to Cairo.

Kidding! Long story short: I got two meals but the in-flight entertainment sucked.


I can’t discuss any of the work aspects of my trip (cue James Bond music), but I did enjoy eating room service:


Seeing the pyramids and sphinx:


And watching protesters cross the Nile River on their way to Tahrir Square: 


Rioting, WOO!

I was coerced into riding a camel, buying a silver scarab pendant, and perusing the world’s pushiest souk. In lieu of pictures, imagine being stabbed in the eyeball repeatedly. Or actually stab yourself in the eyeball. That’s about how I felt.

Oh, and do it when you’re good and thirsty. Because you can’t drink the water in Egypt, silly. Only bottled water and carbonated beverages. Which you can’t buy at the local drug store because a) there are no drug stores and b) you can’t walk outside by yourself.

Next stop, Athens!

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: