January 16, 2013

January 16, 2013

Back to Stoneybrook

Friend-of-blog and former college roommate-of-blog K recently posted a Facebook comment about Scholastic Book Clubs. Remember those? You’d get a little flyer on newsprint every month, would pore over it for hours, and would finally place your order after agonizing over whether or not to get both the new Baby-sitters Club and Nancy Drew books.

Granted, your mileage may vary. If you’re a guy, for instance, you may have been too busy doing whatever it is boys did instead of reading. Peeing on things? I don’t know.

But Women of A Certain Age such as myself fondly remember the book series of our youth. For me, the BSC was at the top of the heap. I’d get the new book every month without ever marveling at the amount of work that Ann M. Martin must have put in to crank those puppies out every few weeks. Yeah, I know, they weren’t exactly works of Tolstoy. But still. It’s hard for me to find the time to crank out 300 words for you people on a regular basis.

Kristy. Claudia. Mary-Anne. Stacey. Mallory. Dawn. Jessi. Dedicated phone lines. Southern boyfriends. The death of a grandparent. Diabetes. Written correspondence. New York City. This series taught me about so much, you guys. So much. (Even though my favorite character was totally Janine because duh.*)

They did a few videos, too. Well, I guess they may have originally aired on TV somewhere, but I watched them on VHS courtesy of the Milwaukee Public Library because that is how I rolled. In the days of yore. Before the internet. (And torrents.)

The Baby-sitters Club, Nancy Drew, the Sleepover Friends, the American Girls…all staples of my young library. Back before childrens’ lit turned all supernatural and apocalyptic. Those were the days.

* Asian. Genius. Enough said.

1 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke:

Ha! Claudia was my favorite too. For the same reason. One of the first books I read with a prominent Asian character. Did you hear about the blogger who wants to read ALL the BSC books in one year? http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/blogger-vows-to-read-131-baby-sitters-club-books-this-year_b63220