February 22, 2013

February 22, 2013

Suggested Reading: A Threeve



When I returned from vacation, I returned to a mailbox filled (literally filled) with magazines. Throughout the week I've been catching up, and three articles in particular fascinated me. One merits its own separate entry (stay tuned), but here are the other two. Between these two articles and last month's cover story on Mars (the candy company, not the planet), Fortune has become my favorite business magazine subscription. (I also get Bloomberg Businessweek and Forbes. They were free and I'm a sucker for free.)

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/19/china-tourists-america/
Tourism in America has always been a big deal, but Chinese tourism in America is turning into a huge deal. Hundreds of thousands of people come here to shop, eat, and see the sights. I don't know about you, but the $5,000 package deal to see NYC, DC, Chicago, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Hollywood sounds pretty good to me. Even if you don't find all Asian people endearing (as I do), read this.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/12/alshaya-america-mideast/
If you've spent any time abroad, you know it's pretty easy to find a bit of Americana. I've had Cold Stone in Korea and McDonald's in Greece. (I wanted KFC in Cairo but things were pretty dicey for single females at the time of my visit.) One company has brought several American brands to the Middle East, where people go batshit crazy for them. Even if you don't find the Cheesecake Factory endearing (as I do), read this.

(I own zero stocks, bonds, CDs, or other non-retirement investment vehicles. The irony that I read magazines in which the Jimmy John's ad wants you to buy a restaurant and not a sandwich isn't lost on me.)

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: