March 12, 2013

March 12, 2013

Riding the Rails

So I’m getting ready to take my first-ever Amtrak ride, and my obsessive preparation leads me to believe it’s going to be either the best or worst travel experience I will ever have.

The internet’s grand, innit?

Seriously, though, the recent BBC documentary “The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track” has inspired me to, well, ride the rails once again. I did it in Asia, I did it in Britain, and now I’m doing it in America.* Korea’s KTX high-speed train set a high standard, especially since my mom’s work with Federal-Agency-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named meant we got to ride first class.

Eff. Yeah.

My jaunt from London to Windsor was also enjoyable, if less Asian.

Now it’s America’s turn. While I’m hoping for the best (because MURICUH), let’s be real. There are any number of ways this could go bad:

Accidentally entering the wrong car.
Purposely entering the wrong car.
Making a ruckus in the dining car.
Making too much noise in the quiet car.
Obstructions on the tracks.
Denzel Washington flying a plane into the train.
Derailment.
Death.
Dismemberment.

And that’s just off the top of my head. (No pun intended. ) But I’m still excited. I think I must have had a railroad connection in a past life. Maybe I rode the Orphan Train. Maybe I helped build the Transcontinental Railroad. Maybe I was a hobo.

Is it odd to get so excited about transport I won’t be driving, piloting, or steering?

* Also Genghis Khan’s motto.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: