May 15, 2013

May 15, 2013

Dinner and a Show

Much as I like to aspire to class, with my tales of international travel, Smithsonian lectures, and PBS, down deep I’m a girl from Wisconsin. Give me my bread and circuses. Luckily for those of similar mind who still live in the Midwest, Marcus Theatres has just the thing to scratch your itch:


Okay, let’s talk this through.

I’m not a huge fan of marathoning, be it movies, TV, or actual marathons. Rather, I prefer to watch once a week, live, to take part in what I call the joint national consciousness. There’s something chilling about seeing Pete Campbell fall down the stairs, Billy Campbell’s resurrection, and the face of the Mother simultaneously with millions of other Americans.* Plus, I’m a glutton for anticipation, and there’s no anticipation like the anticipation of waiting a week to see what happens next.

But there are some days, perhaps a Thursday in late May, when the weather is warm(er) and young bloggers turn to thoughts of car chases and kickass explosions. As an ardent fan of popcorn movies, I should not have been surprised when I fell in love with the Fast & Furious franchise. But I was. Because I’m not at all into cars, I don’t have a criminal record, and I don’t lift weights. To wit, I’m not the target demographic.

But this marathon. Man. You can choose to view both the first and second F&F trilogies or just the second trilogy.**Plus—and here’s what sells me—all day refills on popcorn and drinks. Yes, please.

Alas, my nearest Marcus Theatre is in Ohio. So that’s a no-go. But maybe you’re closer, and willing to eat your body weight in delicious buttery goodness while watching cars do things that may not actually be possible.

* If you recognize and experienced all three of those, let me know because I think we are soulmates.
** In a recent interview with EW, Vin Diesel said he viewed the F&F movies as trilogies. Currently, seven movies are planned. Either two more will eventually be announced, or Vin Diesel doesn’t understand the concept of a trilogy. I figure either one is possible.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: