May 14, 2013

May 14, 2013

EU Open House 2013

As I’ve mentioned previously, the foreign embassies in DC throw their doors open once a year and set out goodies for swarms of curious Americans. We’re like locusts when it comes to swag, not that there’s anything wrong with that. This was either my fourth or fifth year, so I had a solid routine. I’ve blogged in great detail about this in other years, so let me share some of the highlights.

- There were two people handing out butter cookies near Denmark’s embassy. Those really good cookies that come out of a tin. One person was a woman draped in a flag poncho sort of getup.


The other was a man in normal clothing.


Yet our subconscious bias against lone men handing out food remains so strong that people swarmed crazy-wearing-a-flag lady.


God bless America.

- Friend-of-blog L accompanied me for the first time. Her affinity for freebies and willingness to drink alcohol for the both of us made her an excellent companion.

- The UK embassy opened up the Ambassador’s residence for the first time this year. We didn’t get to walk through his bedroom or anything (you kinky minx), but the dining room, entrance hall, and parlor were on the tour.




Alas, Prince Harry had left the building. So close.

I ended up with a great haul, including a number of tote bags, several EU-branded styluses (stylusii? stylii?), and a full-size jar of cookie spread. (Yeah, Belgium went all out on the freebies this year. I imagine the Greece embassy was handing out tissues.)

[Annoyingly-vague insinuation ahead]

Alas, I can’t tell you about the most exciting thing I did on Saturday due to a non-disclosure agreement. Yet. Hopefully soon. Very soon.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: