May 30, 2013

May 30, 2013

Trivial Pursuits

Were I normal, I’d probably tell you about my recent trip to New York City. (I will eventually, I promise. I saw Hello Kitty again and almost died of happiness.) Perhaps my plans for the summer (this year’s re-watch: The West Wing). These are the sorts of things my co-workers and friends are talking about, and I have to believe they’re closer to the norm than I am otherwise this whole elaborate construct of social structure I’ve built will collapse around me like this metaphor is doing.

But screw all that because [really exciting news about something happening on June 9 redacted, continue reading for context clues].

(!)

(!!!)

Suffice to say I’ve been preparing by upping my usual consumption of information. I have three books going. I’ve paid the type of attention to my news magazines that I usually reserve for Entertainment Weekly. I’m turning into a Wikipedia freak.

(Speaking of, it turns out that my habit of sneezing in bright sunlight is an actual thing and not a psychosomatic whatever. Woot.)

Yesterday’s Trivia Night was all about DC’s hometown heroes. People with connections to DC, whether through birth, career, or otherwise. And though I consider myself in the 90th percentile when it comes to random knowledge, I was absolutely SPANKED. I got 6 out of 20 right, and 4 of those were guesses.* Dang, you guys. Dang.

On Saturday, I’ll be joining thousands of people to participate in the World Quizzing Championships. Two hours, hundreds of questions, and (I can only hope) several #2 pencils. That may sound like torture to you, but I’m beyond excited. Other people enjoy the outdoors or whatever, I like taking tests. It’s a shame that we have so few test-taking opportunities after entering adulthood, isn’t it? My disappointment upon learning the Civil Service Exam no longer exists was not small, lemme tell ya.

Okay, but back to the Thing. My weak points are admittedly concentrated in the sciences and geography. If only “The Animaniacs” had done more science songs. Other than freebasing “Schoolhouse Rock” science videos, I’m not sure how to proceed. Is there some sort of SAT-prep science podcast? Maybe with puppets?

If you’re not too busy living your real life on Thursday, please send your happy thoughts westward. With any luck, I will not be covered in stress sweat and In-N-Out burger cheese.

* I knew that Clara Barton had founded the Red Cross, and that Dulles was the Secretary of State. #themoreyouknow

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: