June 13, 2013

June 13, 2013

California, There I Went

Though I’d been to San Diego, San Francisco, and a few other parts of the Golden State (motto: “We have a BEAR on our flag so screw all y’all”), Los Angeles was new to me. Not new in an intriguing way, more new in an I-watch-Southland-so-I’m-scared-witless sort of way. Sure, there were palm trees and the weather was delightful. But I figured I’d be mugged at least twice during my three-day trip.

(Spoiler alert: I was not mugged. Not even once.)

Since I had a little time the day before I had to [activity redacted], I consulted my list of must-see Los Angeles sights:
  • La Brea Tar Pits
  • Walt Disney Concert Hall
  • Grauman’s Chinese Theatre
  • Dolby (formerly Kodak) Theatre
  • Hollywood Walk of Fame
And after some confusion* in the subway station, I was on my way. First stop: the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Swoopy.

At this point I was hungry even hungrier than usual, so I stopped into a CVS to get a sandwich. Which I ate at a bus stop in Koreatown. Classy, right? I know.

I ate outside this place, which I suspect was actually a front of some kind because COME ON.

Next up, the tar pits.

Who else is humming the Beverly Hillbillies theme song right now?

You may see a bubbling mess, but I saw the fulfillment of eight-year-old me’s fondest wishes. I had a bit of a thing for dinosaurs at that age, so the only thing better than getting to see the La Brea tar pits would’ve been finding an actual dinosaur skeleton in my backyard. (Believe me, I looked. ARGH Wisconsin.)

Then on to Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, in front of which are many hand- and footprints.

Howdy, Pilgrim.

Though this area was pretty crowded, I found it no worse than Times Square. Which is my actual measurement of crowdedness; your mileage may vary.

I didn’t have time to tour the Dolby Theatre, so I have not (yet) touched an Academy Award. But I did check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame outside.

The hills are alive!

I was disappointed to see that you don’t even have to be real to get a star:

I call BS.

Psh.

I forgot to look up to see the Hollywood sign, though I’d caught a glimpse of it on the ride from the airport. So no picture of me cheekily grinning in front of it, which is perhaps better for the world, anyway. Maybe next time.

* As someone who swears by public transit, I was frustrated not a few times by LA’s system. No wonder everyone drives.

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: