December 12, 2013

December 12, 2013

New York New York

New York magazine recently announced it was switching to a bi-weekly publication schedule. Thus I will receive an issue every two weeks rather than every week. To clarify, this is a completely different magazine from the New Yorker, to which I do not subscribe. Probably because they never offer free subscriptions.

That’s how I got into NY mag in the first place, you see: they offered a free subscription deal online. I’m a big fan of the city, a big fan of magazines, and a huge fan of free things, so I signed up. I expected a monthly magazine with some interesting pictures and stories. What I got was a weekly dose of all things New York, along with fascinating stories about history, art, culture, business, politics, and other topics of national interest. In short, it’s a great periodical, regardless of your interest in the city itself.

One of the things I love about DC is its importance. That sounds terribly smug and self-aggrandizing, but the fact remains that DC’s news is the national news. Watch any network evening news program and you’ll see correspondents at the White House, the Capitol, the Pentagon, and other buildings near which I have spilled yogurt on myself. They call this “living the dream,” folks.

New York has a similar national influence. I’m pretty sure Mayor Bloomberg is North America’s second most recognized mayor right now after Rob Ford. Not to slight the heads of, y’know, St. Louis and Boise and stuff, but if one of them banned Big Gulps you probably wouldn’t hear much about it.

Anyway, because I go to NYC on a regular basis, I find the mag’s tips on new sights and upcoming events particularly helpful, and occasionally the reason for an impromptu trip there. (+1 for being childless!) Like this week, when I read about Myers of Keswick, a British grocery store near Chelsea. I no longer have to fly to the UK to get shrimp-flavored potato chips. Rule Britannia.

Look, I get a crapload of magazines, many of which I flip through in five minutes or less (sorry, Bazaar). But some magazines I savor, and NY mag is in that list. I’m sorry to see it cut back to bi-weekly, but at least it’s staying in print. (I find reading digital magazines excruciating.)

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: