January 2, 2014

January 2, 2014

Happy Haunting, Lady Sybil

We’re back to an even-numbered year, and I for one am glad about it. There’s something unsettling about an odd-numbered year, though maybe that’s just the OCD talking. Good things happen in even years, though; Olympics and elections, oh my! Sure, they’re the less-glamorous winter games and the midterms, but still.

Oh, and TV is coming back. Specifically, British TV airing on PBS. More specifically, Downton Abbey and Sherlock. Your mileage with these shows will vary, but I’m looking forward to them both. Here’s hoping that Edith finally wins one for the Gipper rather than getting her hopes and dreams crushed yet again. (Also, I wouldn’t say no to any of the following: Sybil as a ghost, Bates growing a handsome moustache, Cora spending the entire season abed, and/or DID I MENTION GHOST SYBIL?)

Speaking of British TV, I spent much of my holiday break watching episodes of QI. There’s something curiously addictive about it; I think I did four episodes in a single day at one point. Though I’ve not yet dreamed that I was on the show, it’s only a matter of time. I HOPE.

Oh, and if you aren’t already back home, penciling these shows into your DVR*, travel safely. I encountered many aged people and children on my flights into and out of Milwaukee and all I can say is hoo boy. There is a whole universe of people out there who apparently haven’t flown commercial post 2001. (Surprise: Your giant metal money clip WILL make the metal detector beep!) And it doesn’t stop once you get on the plane. On my flight to DC, the beverage service actually skipped our row. My seatmate pressed the Attendant Call button tout suite, since I was too busy fiddling with my window shade that was stuck in the open position, exposing me to full-on sun. Delightful.

Anyway, DA is back this Sunday and Sherlock returns on the 19th. Mark it.

* I don’t have one, but that IS how they work, right?

0 Fish in a Sea of Diet Coke: