Each year, Beloit College (yay Wisconsin) puts out the Mindset List, explaining how college freshmen see the world. For unless you’re a great deal younger than I think you are, you have very little in common with the Class of 2018. Born mostly in 1996. That’s right, middle aged people who think *I* am young. People born in the mid-90s are full-fledged adults now. Deal with it.
The full list is available at http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2018/, but here are some that stuck out to me:
1. During their initial weeks of kindergarten, they were upset by endlessly repeated images of planes blasting into the World Trade Center.
18. Joe Camel has never introduced one of them to smoking.
29. They never tasted the “texturally enhanced alternative beverage” known as Orbitz. (I’m with them on this one. Isn’t Orbitz a gum?)
40. They have no memory of George Stephanopoulos as a senior White House advisor.
46. They have probably never used Netscape as their web browser.
Of course, I have to also post my favorites from my own list, the Class of 2006:
14. A "Hair Band" is some sort of fashion accessory.
23. Mrs. Fields' cookies and Swatch watches have always been favorites.
27. Fox has always been a television network choice.
34. Cherry Coke has always come in cans. (Did it originally…not?)
Kids these days, eh?